Thursday 8 July 2010

8th July .... 1980

You all know my predilection for Time Travelly stuff, right?  Well, I thought I'd dip into what I was doing exactly 30 years ago and here's my diary entry for  8th July 1980.
Briefly,  this was the year I left school (in a mighty huff as I wasn't allowed to go to Art school as I'd hoped)  and so I started working in the most Arty place I could think of - as an Apprentice Hairdresser in a posh Hair/Beauty salon in town.  Clearly, I'm not enjoying it much...

"Hate it! Absolutely detest the place an' I'm not - repeat NOT joking.
Met Jackie at dinner - Ginny came in 'cos Fliss was havin' her hair done.  Alison (big one) told me I was fat and I should try wearing something else! Humph!
Got on the wrong bus comin' home!
Biddenham, Bromham & Oakley - 1 hour late home.  Went down Del's.  Saw George 4 a fleeting second.  Lay in tomorrow!"

Also, clearly, exclamations marks were the way to get my point across!  And I'm wracking my brain trying to remember if there was a 'small Alison' to offset the Big one.  Much lol-age!

7 comments:

Clodagh said...

LOL! That's so funny, Debs. I wondered about a 'small Alison' too. And who's George? Intriguing ...

Debs Riccio said...

Oh, George was a bit of a crush I had - he was a year younger than me and very good with a guitar and his dad was my doctor - oh it's all coming back now...

Jacqueline Christodoulou-Ward said...

This amde me think about 30 years ago. Hmm 1980 I was expecting my second daughter and working in a cake factory!

Great post, so funny xx

Anonymous said...

So funny! This sounds VERY like my own teenage diary, Debs. Except I was so food-obsessed I always added exactly what I'd had for tea. So I'd write, 'Natasha called me a slag, and now no one's talking to me. I want to die. Tea: shepherd's pie.' Not the correct use of the colon - this girl was born to be a sub-editor!

Debs Riccio said...

LOL, NWBI! Even sadder than writing the day's meal-plan, I used to religiously precis the plot to each week's Starsky and Hutch/Hart to Hart episode - what a dull time it all was!

Fionnuala said...

I so wanted to keep a diary when I was younger but my nosy mother used to read my olders sister's diary and I vowed never to giver the chance. No lock in the world would have worked if Mum wanted to find out what you were really up to!
I love the fact that you still have those records and envy them! x

Debs Riccio said...

Fi - I actually find them a bit depressing tbh. I sound about bloody 12 in most of them - from every year!