Monday 25 January 2010

Wishes Never Made...

My lovely interweb writer friend, Deborah Durbin (no relation to the black and white Deanna of 1950's Sunday afternoon musical fame) would probably back me up on this - come to think of it, so would Noel Edmonds with his Visualisation techniques and his Golden Orbs - but we'll stick with Deborah because that's a much less cringey image!.
It occurred to me in the shower this morning - the best place for any kind of creative thinking bar none - that in my life I already have things I never wished (aloud) for but which I certainly could not nor would not be able to function happily or properly without.  These being :

1.  The most beautiful, happy, level-headed, content-in-her-own-skin with no hang-ups whatsoever daughter who continually (even though I shamefully embarrass her on occasion) tells me she loves me and wants to be just like me when she grows up (okay then, so slightly worrying on the mental stability front, but we can't have everything) and with whom I have the best relationship I've ever had with anyone my entire life. *sob*.

2. The most incredible husband in the world who, for some reason seems to love me for my faults and not despite them and who never fails to lift my spirits with either a reasoned argument in spirit-lifting favour or else a supremely amusing face-pull/dance/moonie at precisely the right moment.  He remains my breath of fresh air, keeps me grounded and loves me whatever my mood and state of dress.
(Disclaimer:  Actually I DID wish for him and that'll be the subject of another post - with grateful thanks to Deborah for her amazing book "There's a Little Witch in Every Woman" and to my friend at the time, Tracey for giving it to me).

3. The absolute best (paid) work in the world for my mentality. If, during 'Career' lessons at school, it had been suggested I should remain working at a school, only I wouldn't be actually teaching, I'd be cutting, sticking, mounting and stapling work onto massive three metre display boards - after firstly having designed a whole mural associated with said work, I think I'd have peed myself laughing.  A ridiculous job like that?  Me?  Are you mad!  And yet I am the Middle School equivalent of Rolf Harris working to an academic timetable ("can you tell what it is yet?").

4. Of course Bill Gates has to have played some small part in the next non-wish scenario but where would I/we be without the amazing technologies surrounding our pc's and the things we can do with them?  No more am I sitting huddled over a manual/electric/golfball/daisywheel  typewriter (remember those?) with stupid sheets of carbon and silly little strips of tippex, wondering how I can *seriously* cut and paste a whole section of story without making the manuscript look like a Christmas decoration or a doiley.  Thank the God of technology for the wonders we are able to use today - and thank goodness s/he was listening through my frustrations of finding an easier way to do it.

5. Never in my wildest (and believe me, I've had some) imaginings, could I have dreamed that One Day I could finish reading a book and then send the author a message telling them how much I enjoyed it and have the author then reply back saying 'thanks'. My god, the conversations I could have had with Enid Blyton, Jilly Cooper and Marian Keyes had this form of tehnology been available to me decades ago!

6. And a list wouldn't be complete without a mention of the Perm, would it?  Who'd have thought that all I had to do to get the hair of my dreams would be to give birth.  Not a mention of that one in the Pregnancy Manual.  I think I'd have noticed.  And I have to thank L'Oreal for keeping it 'real' and not making me appear as the silvery-haired crazy lady who sticks kids pictures on walls for a living whilst dreaming of becoming a proper author-type person one day!

9 comments:

Michele said...

Lovely. You've piqued my interest with the Witch book and Noel Odmonds golden orbs- please send me an email and share.

Debs Riccio said...

Will do, Michele!

Deb said...

Hee-hee, this is why I love you, Debs - is it too soon in our relationship to say that? Ah, well, I do. There I've said it:) And yes, I am much more attractive that Noel Edmonds - I don't have a beard (yet) for starters, which is always a bonus in life, I find.
Now, I must go learn Chinese because I haven't a clue what the other comment on your blog says, but my Little Witch book was translated in to Chinese. Oh gawd, I hope it's not a crappy review!
xxxx

Jacqueline Christodoulou-Ward said...

Brilliant post Debs. After the shock of new year and the age I'm going to be next year (shock that has lasted til now) I have also been counting my blessings.

I need to read the witch book lol xx

Debs Riccio said...

Aww, I love you too, Debs! And if it weren't for your book I would be only half the woman I am today (the Write side...obviously)and that comment above? I'm sure it can only be good. This is a positive post, right?
Jacqui- I am living proof that this 'wishing/spell' thing works - even if sometimes I wish I'd kept the receipt (for the husband, not the book!) . And Age? Immaterial!

Trina Rea said...

I love this, esp what you said about your daughter and husband :-) It's so refreshing to read a blog or facebook update that isn't a moan these days.

Debs Riccio said...

Believe me, Trina, it wasn't easy! x

Luisa Plaja said...

Oh, I love this! Great post, Debs!

Debs Riccio said...

Thanks Luisa! x