Clodagh for tagging me with this:
1. The last book I read was... ‘The Brightest Star in the Sky’ and we all know what I thought of that.
2. The book(s) I’m currently reading... (in the car) ‘The Shack’ by Wm Paul Young – lent by colleague – you know the one – guy’s daughter gets murdered, guy gets note from God asking him to meet him in shack where she was killed. I’ll get back to you. And (in bed) ‘The Memory Keeper’s Daughter’ – liking muchly thus far.
3. The last bestseller I've read was ‘The Brightest Star..’
4. The last book I've bought/received is...’Girl Aloud’ by Emily Gale.
5. The books I'll be buying soon is/are... ‘Heart of the Matter’ by Emily Giffin. When’s it out again? Keris? Oh yeah, and CANNOT WAIT for my copy of ‘Della Says…OMG’ (she doesn’t say WTF anymore, allegedly) (LOL) by the fabulously gifted Keris Stainton.
6. My favourite children's book is... The Magic Faraway Tree by jolly ol’ Enid.
7. My favourite Shakespeare play is... Romeo and Juliet cos I’m a big softie at heart – and it’s just so tragic.
8. Best period of literature? Er… now?
9. Emily Brönte or Jane Austen? Bronte without a doubt. All that wild and windswept torrent of emotions stuff.
10. My favourite poet/s is/are... Alfred Lord Tennyson – Lady of Shallott will always stay with me. Painful, beautiful, evocative. And it rhymes.
11. My favourite literature character is... Minerva Dobbs (‘Bet Me’ by Jennifer Crusie) – spunky, feisty, passionate about love and food. My kinda gal!
12. A book I could reread a thousand times is... ‘Vince and Joy’ by Lisa Jewell. A pleasure to have living with me. It’s a tonic.
13. A book I hated is... languishing in a landfill somewhere... ‘Inglorious’ by Joanna Kavannah. Bought it cos I’d read she was published after writing 8 books and I felt a kind of empathy. Empathy stopped right there.
14. If my life were a book, it would be... ‘High Fidelity’ by Nick Hornby cos it’s about missed opportunities, making wrong choices and wondering where it all went so awry - a tragi-rom-com with a happy ending (here’s hoping!).
15. My ritual when reading a book is… Quiet. Open. Read. Anywhere. Home, car, waiting room, loo, other peoples houses. Draw the line at other people’s loos.
16. Best places to buy books: I cheat and read the first chapter on the ‘Lovereading’ site and then go over to Amazon and buy it. Hey, there’s a recession! But you can’t beat browsing in person in Waterstones, just costs more.
17. The language(s) I read most of my books is… English. Dumb question, right?
18. Do you write? If so, what? God yes, constantly - even when it's not coming out of my fingers it's swimming about in my mind. Couple of adult and a Young adult books – currently working on 2nd teenage thing. Oh, I Blog. See? And I write Shopping and To Do lists (sad, no?).
19. Recommend a book: oh definitely ‘Bet Me.’ Every time. THE definitive chick lit book – EVER. Thanks to my (still fabulous) friend Keris for pointing me in the Crusie’s direction.